Sometimes – okay a lot of the time – I wonder if this life I am living and this body I now call home are all real … or just a dream!
For so much of my life, I thought about what it would be like to be thinner.
I remember telling my aunt during ninth grade how much better my life would be if I just lost 50 pounds. Okay I actually told her my life would be perfect if I just lost the weight. Yes I know NOW that wasn’t true!!
But, changing my life to be a dream … is much more than the number on the scale.
While I will never forget that I have gotten rid of over 60 pounds off my body, I think about how much more has happened in my life through Weight Watchers, especially:
1) Starting this blog … opening my life, my successes, my struggles and tips/tricks I have learned along the way with all of you has given me so much more than I could’ve possibly imagined. I never would’ve thought I would allow myself to be so vulnerable on such a large forum, but it has paid off dividends.
2) People actually wanting to interview me … I would’ve never imagined that people would want to hear about my journey. I’m just one person who set out to make my life better – to give myself the happiness I searched for for so long.
TimeOut Chicago – December 2011
FUDiet.com – April 2012
Biggest Loser Blog – May 2012
3) Confident, Outgoing and Proud … these are three adjectives that I would never have used to describe myself unless I had gone through this journey – and now I can’t imagine myself any other way. I like – and am learning to love – the person I am becoming!
4) Running … do you guys know I like to run? Have I mentioned that before? Running has changed my life more than I could’ve expected. Going from the girl that played specific sports that avoided running to training for a marathon is something I didn’t see coming … but I now welcome it with open arms.
It is exhilarating to see what my body and I are capable of doing with hard work. Seeing the results, the bibs and the medals – keep me going each day.
But, more than the results – I now rely on the feelings that come from running. I feel calmer, strong and fierce when I lace up my sneakers and hit the pavement.
5) Comfortable … I feel more comfortable in my own skin.
I enjoy being able to walk into any clothing store and find something on the rack that I can fit in to.
I don’t avoid the mirrors at all costs anymore.
I don’t hide from the camera.
I am completely honest with my journey – how far I have come and now how I work to live a healthy lifestyle to maintain my new body.
So to you all, thank you for coming on this journey with me. Living a dream is something so many people strive for and never achieve. Therefore, I am honored and blessed that it finally happened for me…
Even though I would’ve never thought that at the age of 29, I would be living back in Boston, married, two dogs and a Weight Watchers Leader – I am loving every minute of it!