... I just play one in my workouts. As I was running with El this morning, I was thinking how much I enjoy working out in the morning rather than in the afternoon. I was planning on writing down my thoughts on the matter when my buddy @SuperErizzle asked me to share my secrets to getting up at 5:30 almost every morning. So here goes nothing ... no pressure, right? ;)
1) I set out my clothes the night before. I do this every night. I will put out either my running clothes/workout clothes and sneakers either in the bathroom, kitchen or living room to make sure I see them en route to the bathroom in the morning. :) If the clothes are out, you have to go, right?
2) I get a workout buddy so I am held accountable. I hate letting people down so if I know that someone will be waiting for me, I am more apt to get up and get going. Thankfully I have my friend Rina for Wednesday's 6:00 am spinning class and El for our 6:00 am Thursday morning runs.
3) When the alarm goes off, I remind myself how less crowded the gym will be at 6/6:30 am compared to after work. Other people really don't enjoy working out in the morning which frees up my favorite machines. We all know how annoying it is to wait in lines for machines.
4) Find morning classes that you want to try or love. I have fallen in love with Spinning. It is an amazing workout that is really helping my running. My gym offers Spinning M-F at 6am then not again til maybe 6:30 pm or 7:30 pm. For me, once I am home it is harder for me to find the motivation to leave the house again. But, if I go in the morning, I get a great burn, I am ready to start the day and ... leads to number five!
5) Your evenings are free!! I no longer need to keep an hour or two free after work to head to the gym and fight the crowds. Now, I am free to do whatever I want after work . Nine times out of 10 that means get back in my PJs and catch up on the DVR. ;)
6) I read somewhere ... don't quote me on this ... that it helps your metabolism to do your workouts in the AM. I don't honestly know where I got that, but I always think to myself that I will burn more calories throughout the day if I get the workout done in the morning. Hey, it may not be accurate, but it gets me out of bed. :)
Well, there are a few of the things that go through my head and actually get me out of bed at 5:30 or 6:30 in the morning and either hit the Lakefront Trail or visit my gym.
Let me know if you have any other motivators that get you up and moving when it is still dark out! ;)