I feel as if the lyrics to Pink's song "F*ckin' Perfect" were written for me. I know I have mentioned it before, but I think each time I hear them it just resonates with me even more. The parts that really get me are: "Pretty, pretty please Don't you ever, ever feel Like your less than F*ckin' perfect. Pretty, pretty please If you ever, ever feel Like your nothing You're f*ckin' perfect to me.
You're so mean, When you talk about yourself, You are wrong. Change the voices in your head Make them like you instead."
The second stanza in particular was me to a T. For so long, I was my own worst critic. I honestly am not sure what has switched inside my head, but all of a sudden over the last month I am FINALLY taking some PRIDE in what I have accomplished. I can't tell you what made the trigger go off, but it did.
But, as I thought about how on January 28, 2011, I went under the knife for major back surgery, and how much has changed since that moment...
* I took the wife's advice and started this blog ... three-year blog-aversary is May 26, 2014.
* I proceeded to rekindle my love of running - completing 14 races from June through December of that year - including a half marathon less than 8 months after surgery.
*I've completed 15 half marathons and 3 marathons since having a microdiscectomy on my back January 2011, where the doctor said I wouldn't be able to run again because of the strength lost in my left leg.
*I've been lucky enough to travel around the United States running in races and meeting amazing bloggers/social media friends along the way.
*Married my love on November 12, 2010. :)
* The wife and I took a vacation together that was longer than three days. We finally got to go on that Hawaiian honeymoon we wanted ... where I proceeded to wear a bathing suit ... IN PUBLIC!
* I was featured in a magazine article about my weight loss journey.
* I hit my original goal weight that I set on November 2, 2009 (Day One of Weight Watchers). I hit the NEW goal weight (155) that I set after hitting the first goal weight (164). :P
* We made the biggest decision of our life together to date and picked up and moved back to the East Coast in January 2012.
* I was chosen to work for Weight Watchers as a Leader and continue to pay forward everything they had given me.
* I hit LIFETIME status with Weight Watchers, which meant I hit my goal weight and maintained it for 6 weeks. Woo! I even got to live out my fantasy of having a Biggest Loser type moment by throwing confetti in the air! :)
*I've improved my 5k time from 38:21 to 21:59. I hit my first-ever sub 8 min/mile pace in March 2012 - 7 years after my 5k! :)
* I've raised over $11,000 for Tedy's Team and the Fight Against Stroke in honor of my Grandparents!
* I completed the Dopey Challenge in Disney - 4 races, 4 days, 48.6 miles!
*I wore a bikini in public, which I NEVER thought would happen.
* After starting the #plankaday program with a 30 second plank in 2011, my PR for a plank is now 5 minutes and 30 seconds.
* This blog's Facebook page is approaching 7,000 likes.
Wow, I cannot believe all of that awesome stuff has taken place in the last 14 months. After writing that out, how can I not be completely proud of myself. I have accomplished so much and have followed my heart in ways I could've never imagined.
Growing up I had zero confidence in myself, through this journey on Weight Watchers I have found a sense of outgoing confidence I never thought possible. Are there times (like this past weekend) when it fails me, sure, but deep down I still know that "I am STRONGER than I think I am!" Sometimes, I just need to repeat that to myself a few hundred times to get it to stick.
Because this journey has taught me that it is okay to be me because I am freakin' awesome! Each day I become a little more comfortable in my own skin because I have sooo much to be proud of.
So if you are ever having a down day, just know: you are freakin' perfect to me!!